Things to do
MAJOR FORTH COMING EVENTS FOR 2018
GLASGOW and BERLIN host the 2018 European Championships - a multi sport event bringing together some of the country's leading sports, athletics, cycling, gymnastics, rowing and golf.
MAJOR FORTHCOMING EVENTS FOR 2019
The Scottish 6 days Orienteering Event 28th July to 3rd August 2019 https://www.scottish6days.com/2019
The Solheim Cup 13th to 15th September 2019 at Gleneagles in Perthshire.
The Solheim Cup is the biggest and most prestigious event in women’s golf. http://solheimcup2019.com/
Discover why Perthshire is known as ‘Big Tree Country’ by exploring one of the many local woodland walks. Here is a list of our favourites:
- A walk through the majestic Douglas fir and pine forest at The Hermitage, home to some of Britain’s tallest trees. Salmon can be seen leaping up the Black Linn waterfall during September and October as they head up stream to spawn.
- Meander through the majestic larch and pine forest that borders the magnificent series of waterfalls at Bruar, one of Perthshire’s most famous beauty spots.
- Visit the Yew Tree in Fortingall, thought to be the oldest living thing the oldest living thing in Europe at 5,000 years old.
- Take in the breath-taking scenery and abundance of native wildlife on one of the many walks through the famous Cairngorms National Park, home to some of the UK’s highest mountains. There are walks to suit all abilities.
- There are also over a mile of lovely woodland walks in the 100 acres of woodland surrounding Pitlandie Wood Lodge Find out more
Perthshire is known as the ‘Adventure Capital’ of Scotland. Here are just a few of the adventure options available to you:
- Highland Offroad: is one of the top venues in Perthshire for quad bike treks and 4x4 driving experiences. Quad Treks are available throughout the day and can suit all levels of ability.
- Nae Limits: is an award-winning outdoor activity centre offering a huge range of adventure activities such as tackling some of Scotland’s best white-water rafting, canyoning and quad-biking. There are activities for all adventure levels, even for 5 year-olds!
- Active Kids Adventure Park: is an award wining adventure park for young children to teenagers. Lots of out door and indoor fun.
- Wild Fox Events: the UK’s original adventure challenge company. For those of you wanting an exciting challenge for yourself and your team whilst raising money for some well known nominated charities, choose from 5 different events and see which apeals to you.
- Highland Safari: an award-winning safari company offering Land-Rover, cycling and walking safaris through the Perthshire Highlands. Enjoy the great outdoors and come face-to-face with some of Scotland’s most iconic wildlife, including the Red Deer, the Golden Eagle, The Famous Grouse and Mountain Hare.
- Scottish Falconry: Try out a falconry experience with over 60 species of birds of prey to choose from.
- Whisky-infused kayaking: with Spirit of the Spey: Paddle down the picturesque River Spey, stopping off at neighbouring distilleries to enjoy a dram of Scotland’s finest whiskies.
- Golf: Perthshire is home to some of the finest golf courses in the world, including: St Andrews (the oldest course in the world); Gleneagles (awarded ‘Best Golf Resort in the World’); and, Dunkeld and Birnam (a local course in a glorious woodland setting).
- Fishing: Discover a variety of species when fishing the Scottish lochs and rivers. Whatever your ability, you have the choice of fishing on a tranquil inland loch to beautifully wild Highland rivers. Some of the best Salmon fishing beats in the world are found on our local River Tay.
- Dunkeld House Hotel: Shooting, Archery and Spa facilities
- Skiing: in the Cairngorms at Aviemore and Glenshee both one hour away.
- Pitlochry Festival Theatre: is known as the ‘Theatre in the Hills’ showing critically-acclaimed shows of a ‘West End’ standard.
- Birnam Arts Centre: is a successful multi-arts centre offering a diverse programme of high quality performances in music, theatre, dance and comedy as well as a wide range of workshops and activities for children.
- Perth Theatre: is one of Scotland’s oldest theatres, showing international comedy, theatre, dance and music.
Scotland is the home of whisky and here in Perthshire we have some of the smallest and oldest distilleries to choose from. Take a tour and enjoy a dram!!
- Edradour: is world renowned as the smallest traditional distillery in Scotland.
- Glenturret: is the oldest distillery in Scotland and home to The Famous Grouse.
- Dewar’s World of Whisky: offers a great day out where you can have a go at blending your own whisky.
- Strathearn Distillery: is worth a visit to try their whisky-infused gin.
Perth, Edinburgh and Glasgow are big retail centres offering all the major high street shops and department stores. Pitlochry, Dunkeld and Aberfeldy offer more in the way of independent, boutique shopping. You can’t fail to take home either a woven piece of tweed, hand crafted soap from the Highland Soap Co, traditional Scottish pottery or unusual handmade jewellery. For those looking for a flavour of Scotland then why not head to House of Bruar. They are the UK’s leading Scottish country clothing specialists, selling world renowned traditional tweeds and fine cashmeres. Once you’re done clothes shopping be sure to take a visit to their food hall which offers a large range of the finest traditional Scottish produce.